Current Job Openings
The Museum Shop Manager manages the day-to-day affairs of the Elizabeth Conklin Museum Shop. S/he’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, recruiting artists, merchandising, stocking & managing inventory, consignment check requisition, staffing Museum Shop and training volunteers on Square Point-of-Sale System. S/he will work with the Finance Department to ensure cash flow and deposits align with Square records and ensure sale permits are up-to-date. The Museum Shop Manager will assist with Museum special events and programs as necessary.
- Process check requisitions for items sold on consignment on a monthly basis, working with the Finance Department to reconcile all sales and tax information
- Manage and update inventory, requesting and/or returning work as needed
- Reach out to artists to curate and secure inventory, including upcoming exhibiting artists (Curatorial), workshops & classes (Education) and events (Development, Community Engagement)
- Assist the Director of Marketing with advertising and promotional discounts via social media, e-blasts, etc.
- Merchandise and update the shop as needed, highlighting holidays and special events in Newport and/or at the Museum
- Manage and update Square POS inventory app assigning items with alpha-numeric codes correlated with Square system
- Working with the Director of Community Engagement, hire and train volunteers on Square POS and retail basics
- E-Commerce and online retail possibility
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency with Apple iPad interface
- Understanding of Retail & Point-of-Sale (Square)
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; word, excel
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and in a fast-paced environment
- Must have excellent attention to detail
- Ability to learn new skills quickly and adapt to new challenges
- Finance/accounting experience a plus
The Museum Shop Manager should be extremely competent in working with the public, artists/consignors and interdepartmentally. S/he must be adept at organizational management as the items in the Elizabeth Conklin Museum Shop are on consignment. S/he must have an appreciation for Newport and it’s communities as well as an interest in art, retail, and increasing exposure of artists.
Please include a cover letter, current résumé, and three references. No phone calls please. All requests should be emailed to: email@example.com, with “Museum Shop Manager” in the subject line. This is a part-time, hourly position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The Newport Art Museum is an equal opportunity employer.