Gallery Guide Program - Volunteer
The Newport Art Museum’s Gallery Guides are dedicated volunteers who support the mission of the museum by providing tours for visitors of all ages. Guides are trained to use questions, conversation, and factual content to engage visitors in positive, meaningful, and relevant exploration of the museum’s architecture, collection, and exhibits. Gallery Guides provide a valuable service to both the museum and the community.
After you submit your application (see below), you may be invited to interview for the gallery guide program. It is not necessary to have prior knowledge of art or experience as a teacher.
New Gallery Guide Training Program
If you are accepted into the gallery guide program, you will be expected to attend New Gallery Guide Training sessions as scheduled, beginning in September and lasting into December. Sessions run 2-2.5 hours.
Once you have completed the initial training, you will join the active Newport Art Museum Gallery Guides and will participate in monthly training sessions. A calendar of training dates is made available to Gallery Guides in September.
Gallery Guides have the responsibility to volunteer to conduct tours. The Gallery Guide program gives flexibility to guides in choosing the specific tours, dates, and times that work with their own schedules. Starting in the second year, Gallery Guides are responsible for leading at least 3 tours annually.
Requirements of Newport Art Museum Gallery Guides
- Newport Art Museum membership (click here for current membership levels)
- A minimum two-year commitment
- Minimum of 3 tours annually, starting in the first active year
- Attend New Gallery Guide Training (September through December)
- Attend monthly training sessions after New Gallery Guide Training is completed
- Computer access for email communication, tour scheduling, saving and printing attached documents, etc.
- Sign Newport Art Museum Gallery Guides Commitment Agreement
- Complete background check paperwork
- Gallery Guide identification (affords free admission to many other museums)
- One complimentary class at the Coleman Center for every 2 years of active Gallery Guide service
- Early Previews of Special Exhibitions lead by Curator
- Field Trips for Professional Development
- Yearly celebratory gathering
- Friendship with other art lovers
- Intellectual stimulation and lifelong learning
Click here to download a Gallery Guide application.