The Newport Art Museum is first and foremost an art museum that serves the public by collection, preserving, exhibiting and interpreting historic and contemporary visual arts of the highest quality with an emphasis on the rich heritage of the Newport region. Since all events take place directly in our galleries, as well as in the Griswold House, a National Historic Landmark, rentals pose concerns for the care and preservations of the artworks and buildings. The Newport Art Museum reviews all programs and events to ensure that they conform to all Museum specifications and meet applicable federal, state and local requirements.
CATERING, VENDORS & DECORATIONS
PARKING & ACCESSIBILITY
1. What kind of events can I host at the Newport Art Museum? top
The Historic Griswold House and the Newport Art Museum grounds are able to accommodate a variety of events, from meetings and lectures, to cocktail parties, wedding ceremonies and receptions with guest counts ranging 10 – 350 people.
2. How much does it cost to rent the Newport Art Museum for a private event? top
Event pricing varies depending on event type, length of event, guest count, and specific needs. Please complete a Rental Inquiry Information Sheet and the Director of Rental Events will respond with an estimate.
3. What does my rental include? top
Renting the Newport Art Museum for a private event includes access to the Griswold House galleries, bathrooms, and the 35 parking spots with accessible parking and entrance located in our Downing Street lot.
The standard rental fee also includes the Museum Events & Visitor Services Staff on-site throughout the event to assist guests with the Museum. For an additional fee, an A/V Technician can be requested to assist with the Ilgenfritz Gallery’s equipment.
4. What time can my event take place? top
Wedding Reception & Rehearsal Dinners may not begin until 6 pm, allowing ample time for the caterer and third-party vendors to set up once the Museum closes to the public at 4 pm. Events may not run past 11pm due to noise ordinance regulations set by the City of Newport.
If you are interested in exclusive use of the Newport Art Museum or a gallery for an event during open hours, approval must be had from the Executive Director and Curator. An additional fee will apply.
- Wedding Ceremonies may begin at 4:15 pm with the arrival of guests beginning at 3:45 pm.
- Wedding & Engagement Photography Shoots may begin at 3:30 pm, and will last until 5:00 guaranteeing exclusive access to the Griswold House once the Museum has closed to the public.
Meetings: please contact the Director of Rental Events for more specific information regarding your meeting needs.
5. Will my guests be able to view the Griswold House galleries during the event? top
Yes, the Griswold House galleries will be available throughout the duration of your event for viewing.
For an additional fee, the Cushing Gallery can be available for viewing; food & drink are prohibited in the Cushing Gallery.
6. Can I put a tent up? top
Yes, the Museum’s grounds are able to accommodate tented events of various sizes. In addition to the Facility Rental Fee, there is a $500 Property Restoration fee applied to every event with tenting to help maintain the historic Newport Art Museum’s grounds.
Tents must be contracted through a preferred vendor; pricing is not included in the Newport Art Museum’s facility rental fee.
7. Does the Museum have audio-visual equipment? top
Yes, the Ilgenfritz Gallery is equipped with a lectures’ podium, sound system and the ability to project slide shows and video presentations.
An additional fee will apply for events needing an A/V Technician.
8. Do I need additional insurance? top
Included in all rental pricing is Tenant User’s Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) which is a policy that protects both the facility user and the Museum. Rates vary depending on type and size of event.
9. Do you have a floor plan? top
Yes! Visit our Floor Plan page for details on each gallery space.
CATERING, VENDORS & DECORATIONS
9. Can I use my own caterer? top
Russell Morin Catering & Events is the exclusive caterer of the Newport Art Museum. In business for more than 100 years, Russell Morin’s exceptional service, culinary experience and reputation are the perfect compliment to the Newport Art Museum’s gracious style. Knowledgeable Event Specialists in their Newport Office (conveniently located just down Bellevue Avenue) will assist you with all of the menu planning and logistics for your event. They can be reached via email (Newport@Morins.com) or by phone (401-848-0472).
10. Is there a kitchen on site? top
Yes, the Griswold House has a kitchen and loading dock available to caterers and vendors before, during, and following an Event at the Museum.
11. Are there restrictions on where I can have food and drink? top
Yes, our exclusive agreement with Russell Morin Events & Catering ensures that the Rules & Regulations of the Museum are followed while accommodating the desires of the client. In general, serving of food and drink are limited to the first floor of the Griswold House.
Bar set ups must include non-sticky mats to protect the Historic Griswold House’s wooden floors from coolers, ice, drinks, etc.
Open flames for cooking, steam candles, and lit candles are prohibited in the Historic Griswold House.
Champagne bottles, and similarly bottled beverages may not be opened in the Historic Griswold House galleries.
12. Can I use a tent on the grounds? top
Yes, the Newport Art Museum’s ground can accommodate small and large tented events, which includes access to the Griswold House.
There is a $500 property restoration fee to preserve our grounds with tented events.
Please view the Newport Art Museum’s preferred vendor list for Tent Rental contacts.
13. Can I use my own third-party vendors? top
Russell Morin Events & Catering is the exclusive caterer for the Newport Art Museum. Their Event Specialists are able to coordinate the logistics and set up of the event using their preferred vendors.
Please view the Newport Art Museum’s preferred vendor list for additional third-party vendors recommendations.
14. Can I use my own photographer(s) and/or band, etc.? top
Yes! Please feel free to have your chosen photographer(s)/band, etc. visit the Newport Art Museum before your event to get an idea for the space and set up.
15. Are there restrictions on decorations and/or floral arrangements? top
Yes, to protect the integrity of the Historic Griswold House and the Museum’s exhibitions there are some limitations on decorations and floral arrangements. In addition, floral arrangements must be treated to prevent the introduction of pests or insects into the indoor areas of the Museum.
- The use of nails, staples, carpet tape, masking tape and any other adhesive is prohibited in the Historic Griswold House;
- Confetti, glitter, birdseed, bubbles, and/or any similar materials is prohibited inside buildings and on the Newport Art Museum’s grounds;
- Mantels and bookshelves with artwork above may not be decorated in any way;
- Candles and similar materials with flame are prohibited;
- For outdoor events, pyrotechnics, loud speakers, flying objects and open flames (lanterns, luminaries, etc.) are prohibited.
Floral Arrangements & Decorations:
- Berries, grapes, and soft fruit are prohibited in arrangements;
- Lillies and other flowers with staining pollen must have their stamens removed off-site;
- Flowers that weep or foliage that can scratch historic objects or surfaces are prohibited in the Griswold House;
- Spray-painted foliage or other loosely adhering decorations should not be used.
16. What about setup and breakdown for the event? top
The Newport Art Museum is open to the public from 10 am - 4 pm Tuesdays – Sundays, thus set up in the galleries may not begin until the museum is closed to the public, and must be cleared from the galleries immediately following the end of event.
Arrangements can be made with the caterers and/or vendors for use of the back kitchen for drop off and pick up of materials in the days surrounding the event.
The Director of Rental Events requires a list of vendors, and their contact information 14-days before event.
PARKING & ACCESSIBILITY
17. Is parking included in the rental? top
Yes, the Newport Art Museum has 35 parking spaces divided between two lots – one located on Old Beach Road, the other behind the Museum’s grounds off of Downing Street.
An adjacent lot for 75 cars may be rented through the Museum for events with guest counts exceeding 80 for an additional fee.
18. How accessible is the Museum for people with physical disabilities? top
All three of the Newport Art Museum’s buildings are accessible for people with physical disabilities.
The Downing Street parking lot offers full wheelchair access to the Griswold House via a paved path through the grounds and ramp to our Courtyard Entrance, as well as a ramp leading directly to the Cushing Gallery.
Within the Griswold House there is an elevator available from the main floor to the 2nd level gallery space and the basement level restrooms.
Please alert the Director of Rental Events about any special needs and we will work create the best set up to accommodate all guests.